At elementary school level the purpose of counselling is to help students with personal and social issues through:
- providing individual and group sessions with students,
- conducting classroom sessions,
- consulting with teachers, parents and community partners,
- providing parent and teacher education, and
- working with school based teams and serving as school contact person for outside agencies
- It is preferable that students are discussed with counsellors prior to formal referral.
- Services can be activated with the “Referral for Counselling Assistance” form by school staff.
- Students may also request a visit with the counsellor.